Full of hearty goodness, the savoury West Coast Ginger Carrot soup is the perfect addition to any blustery day!
West Coast Ginger Carrot Soup
In a large saucepan, melt butter and cook onions for 2 minutes. Add carrots, sweet potato, parsnip, ginger root and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer over low heat until vegetables are soft (20 to 30 minutes). Pour soup into a blender and purée until smooth. Return to saucepan. Add mirin and fish sauce; stir well. Heat cream in microwave, without boiling. Add to soup, stirring constantly. Check seasoning; add more mirin and fish sauce if desired. Add salt and pepper to taste. Toss together garnish. Serve hot in bowls and top with garnish.
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking: 30 minutes
- 250 mL (1 cup) 15% cooking cream
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 sweet potato, diced
- 1 parsnip, diced
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) chopped ginger root
- 2 L (8 cups) chicken broth
- 60 mL (4 tbsp) mirin, optional
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) Asian fish sauce
- To taste salt and freshly ground pepper Garnish
- 250 g (8 oz) cooked roast beef, julienned
- 250 mL (1 cup) snow peas, julienned
- 500 mL (2 cups) bean sprouts
- 125 mL (½ cup) thinly sliced fresh mint
- 125 mL (½ cup) thinly sliced fresh coriander
- 500 mL (2 cups) fried noodles
click here to watch the recipe video
Local Farmers Markets
Don’t let winter put a hold on getting fresh, local produce – Our friends at Vancouver Farmers Markets have put together a great list of markets in your area. Be sure to bundle up, and get ready to stock up!
Winter Farmers Market at Nat Bailey
Saturdays, 10am to 2pm
November 6, 2010 to April 30, 2011
Nat Bailey Statium, East Parking Lot – 4601 Ontario Street, Vancouver BC (East 30th and Ontario Street)
find out more
Having trouble figuring out which produce is local? Use our interactive guide to view which produce is in season, by region!
click here to view the in-season guide
By joining us on facebook, you are automatically entered in a draw each week to win one of our fabulous prizes! You can gain additional entries to the contest by commenting on our weekly challenges and participating on the page.
Join the conversation now!